Black Bean Tortilla Soup
This vegetable packed Black Bean Tortilla Soup Recipe is a delicious year round soup that you’ll want to make again and again! It’s a great way to get veggies into your diet and it’s layered with those delicious Mexican flavors we crave. Finish it off with queso fresco and sliced avocado for even more flavor.
Black Bean Recipe
I may be a meat eater but I still love a good vegetarian black bean recipe. Black beans are a good way to protein and fiber in your diet plus I love the way they taste.
Here’s a small collection of some of my vegetarian black bean recipes:
And they’re all Mexican inspired recipes. So I guess we’ll keep that same good thing going here with this good for the soul soup.
Ingredients for this Black Bean Soup
- Olive oil
- Fresh veggies: Onion, bell pepper, carrot, garlic, jalapeno, corn, avocado, cilantro
- Spices: Chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Canned ingredients: vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, black beans
- For added flavor: Lime and optional queso fresco cheese
- Tortillas (for homemade tortilla strips)
For this soup I like to make homemade baked tortilla strips but store-bought tortilla strips or even tortilla chips will work great as well.
How to Make Baked Tortilla Strips
I like to make the tortilla strips while to soup is simmering. Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
Brush both sides of the tortillas with olive oil then place in stacks of four. Cut each stack through the middle (in half), then cut into small strips.
Separate and spread onto prepared baking sheet into an even layer, season lightly with salt. Bake in preheated oven 6 minutes, remove toss then spread back out.
Return to oven and bake until lightly golden brown and crisp, about 4 – 7 minutes longer (note they should crispen up even more as they cool).
How to Make Fried Tortilla Strips
If going the homemade route, you can also fry the tortilla strips (instead of baking). To do so, pour vegetable oil into a pot until there’s nearly 1-inch.
Heat oil to 370 degrees, then fry strips in batches until lightly golden brown and crisp. Using a skimmer transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Season lightly with salt.
Then if you aren’t on a strict vegetarian diet, be sure to check out my chicken versions as well.
More Black Bean Recipes You Might Like
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Crema
- Roasted sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Mexican Style Black Beans (Crockpot or Instant Pot Method)
- Black Bean Soup (with Bacon!)
- Honey Lime Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
FOLLOW COOKING CLASSY