Chicken Salad Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good chicken salad? It’s the perfect make ahead lunch for a picnic and it’s so easy to customize.
This version is made with tender pieces of chicken and a rich, herby, lemony dressing to compliment it. Nothing complicated here just basic ingredients that together make a classic and comforting lunchtime favorite.
Want to take it over the top? Make a layered Chicken Salad Sandwich – served between hearty bread, layered with a bed of lettuce, creamy avocado slices, crisp flavorful bacon, and fresh lightly sweet tomato slices. Who could resist?
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Salad
- Cooked chicken breasts – I like to use rotisserie chicken. You’ll need a large rotisserie chicken to get 3 cups cubed chicken breasts (or 2 smaller).
- Lemon – be sure to zest first before slicing and juicing as this recipe calls for both.
- Celery – this gives the chicken salad a nice light crunch. Dice it up small.
- Green onions – red onions can be substituted for a stronger flavor.
- Parsley – skip the dried it doesn’t have near as much flavor as fresh.
- Mayonnaise – use good quality mayonnaise for best flavor, such as Hellman’s/Best Foods. I really does make a difference since there’s a fair amount used.
- Dijon mustard – feel free to add more to taste if you like a stronger mustard flavor.
- Bread or lettuce for serving.